Friday, August 9, 2013

Protesting through words



 I protest
When I see:
An innocent young bride
Burnt for inadequate dowry
Anywhere in my India.

I protest
When I see:
Children sweating
Like the young Dickens
In dark factories
For few rupees
And
Forgetting their happy childhood
Within the stone walls
Of those dark halls
Of hell.

I protest
When I see:
Dissidents getting
Bumped off in the nations
Nearby or far-off
Or,
The Bamyan Buddhas
Being razed to ground
By the Taliban
Or,
When a woman journalist Lubna Hussein
To be lashed for wearing pants
In Sudan.

But---
I protest
With words only
Because strikes are
Banned here
In my country.

Words become my weapons
Potent
They question
Every misdeed
Of the elites powerful
And
Blind.
When that no longer
Works,
I stand at the famous
Tiananmen Square,
Stretching out my arms
In the charged air,
All alone---
A pathetic
Frail human figure---
Against the gleaming white
Vastness of the solid square,
Holding alone
The great might
Of the Rolling tanks,
My thin arms,
And my puny figure
Stopping the armoured column
Of the State
Via one, single human gesture
Caught on the celluloid
For others to see---
And inspire.


At that dramatic moment
Words become me
And I become
A concrete
Example of the
Unfailing
Human
PROTEST
Against everything
Unjust and vicious.
Words that carry their own
Charge and can do much harm
To status Quo
Than the conventional
Cannons.


No comments:

Post a Comment